Monday, February 9, 2015

PREACH: A Little Girls Letter To DC Comics About Girl Power.

There has ALWAYS been so much back and forth about women in the comic book industry. Whether it's about female writers, artist, or the female characters in the comics themselves. People fight about how they're so sexually exposed and have crazy body standards for young women to look up too. There's also a way smaller percentage of female characters on TV shows and movies.

But Anyways, to not make this chat go on forever... it's not like adult women are the only ones noticing!  11 year old Rowan is the brave little soul who wrote this letter to DC Comics and honestly, I hope more little girls are growing up being taught to speak their minds just like here!



Dear DC comics,

My name is Rowan and I am 11 years old. I love superheroes and have been reading comics and watching superhero cartoons and movies since I was very young. I'm a girl, and I'm upset because there aren't very many girl superheroes or movies and comics from DC.

For my birthday, I got some of your Justice League Chibis™. I noticed in the little pamphlet that there are only 2 girl Chibis, and 10 boys. Also, the background for the girl figures was all pink and purple.

I remember watching Justice League cartoons when I was really young with my dad. There are Superman and Batman movies, but not a Wonder Woman one. You have a Flash TV show, but not a Wonder Woman one. Marvel Comics made a movie about a talking tree and raccoon awesome, but you haven't made a movie with Wonder Woman.

I would really like a Hawgirl (sic) or Catwoman or the girls of the Young Justice TV show action figures please. I love your comics, but I would love them a whole lot more if there were more girls.

I asked a lot of the people I know whether they watched movies or read books or comics where girls were the main characters, they all said yes.

Please do something about this. Girls read comics too and they care.

Sincerely, Rowan.


I was so taken by this letter and her detailed accounts about the packaging and numbers and how she went around asking her friends questions... Rowan, you rock!


Anyway, here is what DC Comics had to say via Twitter...


Though I do believe things have been changing and there has been more and more female writers, artist, and characters on TV... it has all taken A REAL LONG TIME to happen. I can only hope things keep going in this direction and eventually it won't be such a big issue anymore.


Some fans did jump to speak their minds on some of the issues as well... 



While other fans congratulated Comic Book Houses on their progress towards females...





I personally understand many peoples frustration on this topic... these changes are WAY OVERDUE. However, they do say "Better Late Than Never". I see a lot of changes celebrating females going on. More female artist, more writers, more conservative outfits (Ex: New Wonder Woman), more on TV (Agent Carter, Wonder Woman in progress as well as Jessica Jones). 

Now I believe we all have to sit back, relax, and enjoy the progress...

What do you think? 

Xx Nubia



About Us

Recent

Random