Monday, October 27, 2014

Blank on Blank: Bette Davis on The Sexes.

I love a strong, smart and educated women. Want to know what's the cherry on top of that? When she's outspoken and stands up for herself! I admire a lady that knows how to speak her mind and isn't afraid of being criticized based on the worlds views of Man vs Woman. The kind of woman I've described pretty much sums up to be the late, great Bette Davis.

Lately I've been very much into the PBS animation series Blank on Blank. The videos are quite amazing and you should all take a few minutes to check them out. One of their latest installments is a rare interview of Bette Davis on The Sexes by entertainment columnist Shirley Eder. The interview was conducted in 1963.

The video below was made by executive producer and Blank on Blank creator David Gerlach with animator-director Patrick Smith and audio producer Amy Drozdowska.

I'm a big fan of Patrick Smith's animation and love the stuff he's been doing for Blank on Blank. The word "sublime" is often used to describe his work. I love the way he interprets people and captures their essence...their expressions and movements. Patrick Smith definitely lets something special shine through in his work.





Here are a few of my favorite Bette Davis quotes from the interview

*Never said anything just for the sake of being, you know, startling.

*One can be respected with the truth in Hollywood just as much as anywhere else you know or else I wouldn’t have had a career.

*We all work for men. You know they’re the people in charge and I think they find women easier who haven’t the ability to think for themselves or stand up for themselves.

*I think men have got to change an awful lot. I think somehow they still prefer the little woman.

*The real female should be partly male and the real male should be partly female anyway. So if you ever run into that in either sex you’ve run into something very, very fine, I think.

Hope you all enjoy the video and make sure to check out a few of the other Blank on Blank episodes.


Xx Nubia 



About Us

Recent

Random